Dr. Gary Bradt is an author, clinical psychologist, and speaker on the topic of adapting to and leading in situations of change. He teaches organizations how to “adapt and ignite” by turning change into business opportunities.
Gary Bradt also delivers a powerful message about dealing with change, not just in businesses, but in our personal lives as well. He is a husband and father who learned to cope with one of the toughest challenges of all—a child’s chronic, life-threatening illness.
His mantra—adapt and ignite!—is a rallying cry for success in these tumultuous times.
So, we asked Dr. Bradt for some tips on reducing stress this holiday season and here’s what the change management expert had to say:
- Ask for help.
- Accept help.
- Tell that voice in your head that says you must ‘Be-perfect’ to shut up!
- Remember that beating yourself up helps no one.
- Remind yourself that beating anyone else up (metaphorically speaking) does not help either.
- Try to plan ahead, but if you end up doing things at the last minute, that’s okay too!
- Recognize that most likely no one will care if the turkey is a little dry.
- Practice your faith and/or embrace your spiritual side.
- Practice mindfulness and being present in the moment.
- Laugh. Especially at yourself.
- Listen to your favorite music. Crank it up.
- Express your love to those most dear.
- Volunteer to help those less fortunate, and drag the kids along too. Everyone will be better for it.
Bonus item: Suggest doing the holidays at your sibling’s place next year!
For more from the change management expert, check out Gary’s latest book, Change: The Tools You Need for the Life You Want. It comes out just in time to help you manage stress around the holiday season and to help reach your resolutions in the new year.
The content writers at BigSpeak Speakers Bureau are Experts on the Experts. They hold doctoral, masters, and bachelors’ degrees in business, writing, literature, and education. Their business thought pieces are published regularly in leading business publications. Working in close association with the top business, entrepreneur, and motivational speakers, BigSpeak content writers are at the forefront of industry trends and research.