Director of Operations
BigSpeak is one of the top Speakers Bureaus, serving over 65% of Fortune 1000 clients with excellence for nearly 24 years. As an organization, we are committed to continuous learning through our internal values of Growth, Accountability, Optimism, Collaboration and Communication. We pride ourselves on our high level of client satisfaction, our participation in organizational transformation, our highly motivated team and our gracious corporate culture.
BigSpeak has been growing rapidly and we are adding more amazing people to our dynamic team. We operate as a 24-year-old start-up, meaning innovation and change are constant. We seek candidates who thrive in changing and dynamic environments. There is never a dull moment in our Agency/Speaker Bureau environment. Our revenue has tripled in five years—and so has our team! With growth, comes challenges—we count ourselves lucky to have these “high class problems.”
Our Director of Operations plays a vital role in our company operations and culture, sitting at the leadership table and member of the management team, reporting directly to our President. You are one-of-a-kind: positive, driven, organized and have the ability to gracefully manage multiple people, priorities and above all, deliver amazing experience to our clients (partners, speakers, Fortune 1000 and internal team). This role requires a person who loves process, operations, technology (Salesforce and G Suite) and understands the complexity of human challenges.
You need to be experienced (“been there and done that” along with some battle scars), with a combination of proactive work and the ability to react quickly to unplanned circumstances. We have the rare, after-hours emergency and those will need your attention. This role demands flexibility, patience and knowing the difference between “urgent” and “important.” Above all, as Director of Operations you are, our “backbone” and keep us on track (plus away from the cliff).
Our successful candidate will have a unique blend of being incredible with people and also harnessing technology, process and follow-through to keep our fast paced environment flowing (while still delivering top-quality experiences for all our stakeholders). This role requires a balance of being diplomatic, great with people, and gracefully holding the line for company policy.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree with business or social science degree preferred
- Proven experience as Director of Operations or VP of Operations / COO or equivalent position
- 5+ years of management/Director level experience, supervising 15-20+ direct reports Effective organizational and time management skills (time management system)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (you will spend 95% of your time communicating with staff, partners and clients)
- Highly organized and accurate with numbers, spelling, grammar and details
- Team player with ability to work and adapt at a fast pace with sunny disposition
- Knowledgeable on Fortune 1000 companies, business leaders and celebrities
- Excellent organizational skills and inspirational internal leadership abilities
- Knowledge of legal rules and guidelines
- In-depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g., supply chain, finance, customer service, etc.)
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Advanced Technology proficiencies for example: Salesforce, G Suite, HR Platforms, Intranet/File Hosting, Project Management Software, etc.
- Willing to work extra hours when necessary/dedication to completion of tasks and initiatives.
BigSpeak is a great and fun place to work and we are looking only for the highest performers.
- Competitive compensation
- Medical and LTD Insurance
- 401K Match and Profit Sharing
- Collaborative work environment with friendly people
- Recharge: 22 days (12 sick/personal + 10 PTO) + 10 Paid Holidays
- Commitment to Employee Wellness and Learning
Please email your resume, cover letter, writing samples and references.
The duties and responsibilities of our Director of Operations are:
- Responsible for day-to-day operations of BigSpeak with direct supervision of our Finance, Contracts and Events teams.
- Project management across all departments
- Heavy emphasis on excellent customer experience with all operations departments
- HR function will be overseen with either outside resource or internal, part-time staff. Currently, HR function is payroll review, benefit administration and compliance.
- Management accounting knowledge and experience
- Quickbooks proficiency
- P&L and B&S oversight, review and prep for Board
- Budgeting Administration
- Proficient in Salesforce, Quickbooks and GSuite
- Docusign enterprise experience preferred
- Identify, test, and implement new solutions
- KPIs (Quarterly Scorecard Management and Bonuses)
- Annual reviews
- Drive Efficiency, We measure efficiency by:
- Project Management and Execution (get hands dirty, execute, not delegate)
- Profit per team member
- Liaise with leadership to make decisions for operational activities and set strategic goals
- Plan and monitor day-to-day running of business to ensure smooth progress
- Supervise staff from different departments and provide constructive feedback
- Evaluate regularly the efficiency of business procedures according to organizational objectives and apply improvements
- Manage procurement processes and coordinate material and resources allocation
- Oversee customer support processes and optimize them to enhance customer satisfaction
- Review financial information and adjust operational budgets to promote profitability
- Revise and/or formulate policies and promote their implementation
- Manage relationships/agreements with external partners/vendors
- Evaluate overall performance by gathering, analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
- Ensure that the company runs with legality and conformity to established regulations