Dr. Natalie Stavas was approaching the finish line of her 5th Boston marathon when explosions shook the city.
Instinctively running towards the chaos that ravaged the renowned athletic event, she raced to save as many lives as possible, administering CPR, applying tourniquets and triaging the wounded. Recognized for her bravery, her actions resulted in her emerging as a national hero, honored by President Barack Obama and named “2013 Bostonian of the Year” by The Boston Globe.
- Natalie is a marathoner whose heroic acts saved multiple lives in the Boston Marathon bombing
- Natalie was named 2013 Bostonian of the Year by The Boston Globe and named “Woman of the Week” in Philadelphia in 2016
- She is a recipient of the 2012 Change Maker Award from The Boston Foundation
- Natalie is an attending Physician in Child Protection Pediatrics at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia; Medical Director of Sole Train
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania; Masters in Health Policy
Fervently committed to making a difference, Dr. Stavas works as a physician at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and is pursuing fellowship training in Child Protection pediatrics and obtaining a Masters in Health Science and Public Policy at The University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Stavas continues to adopt new methods for contributing toward her cause, now serving as a weekly medical contributor for Boston’s FOX 25 and a mentor for the non-profit, Sole Train. She also travels regularly to Haiti to provide medical care to children and help strengthen the fragile medical infrastructure, and her work as a medical pioneer was featured in a documentary that premiered at the 2014 South by Southwest film festival.
With a distinctive “Running Towards Chaos” philosophy, Dr. Stavas uses medical expertise and personal experiences—from her upbringing on a Nebraska farm to the Boston terrorist attacks—to provide fascinating and constructive insight on the importance of altruism and strategies for conquering fear, finding meaning in a chaotic world and ultimately running towards chaos.