Your employees work hard all year long, and with the holiday season quickly approaching you may be racking your brain for grand gift ideas that show your appreciation. Before splurging on big-ticket items, remember that often the little things are the big things. Here are some simple but thoughtful ways to give thanks to your employees.
- A handwritten note of thanks. Personalize it by speaking to the employee’s hobbies, goals, or family members.
- Buy coffee for the office once a week.
- Praise an employee for a job well done privately and publically to a group. And if you hear a positive remark about an employee pass it on to them as soon as possible.
- Don’t forget the power of “Please” and “Thank You.” In her book, Thank You Power: Making the Science of Gratitude Work for You, Deborah Norville discusses how gratitude and giving thanks are the secret to improving your relationships. Also see Norville’s book on The Power of Respect.
- Share a gift certificate with an employee so they can take their spouse or significant other to dinner or a show.
- Order food for the team working late.
- Give employees the day before a holiday off to allow for travel.
- Gary Brandt suggests: Surprise the team by stocking the workroom with sweet treats, coffee, fruits, and other snacks. Gary says that one of the executives he coached who did this for his employees said: “They were so excited, you would have thought I gave them each a $10,000 bonus!”
While the holiday season is a great time to go out of your way to show your employees how much you really appreciate them, remember that thanks-giving to employees shouldn’t just happen around Thanksgiving. Show your employees how much you appreciate them in small but meaningful ways all year long.
The content writers at BigSpeak Speakers Bureau are Experts on the Experts. They hold doctoral, masters, and bachelors’ degrees in business, writing, literature, and education. Their business thought pieces are published regularly in leading business publications. Working in close association with the top business, entrepreneur, and motivational speakers, BigSpeak content writers are at the forefront of industry trends and research.