From Self-Doubt To Olympic Champion: Alex Gregory’s Inspirational Journey To Gold.
Alex takes his audience on a journey of personal struggle that is at once frustrating, funny, emotional, and at times beyond comprehension. Why struggle for something for so long after so many setbacks? The answer lies in Alex’s enduring self-belief and desire to achieve ...
Alex takes his audience on a journey of personal struggle that is at once frustrating, funny, emotional, and at times beyond comprehension. Why struggle for something for so long after so many setbacks? The answer lies in Alex’s enduring self-belief and desire to achieve despite everything around him telling him he couldn’t. Live this journey with Alex and see him come through the darkness as one of the strongest, most successful Olympic athletes of recent times. Alex can relate to everyone and anyone, showing how we can all turn things around with the right desire and mindset. His is an inspiring story told with feeling and emotion. In presentations, Alex reflects on how he relied on teamwork and a deep inner motivation to overcome adversity and achieve greatness, highlighting:
- The Importance of Setting True Goals. Everyone sets goals, but what do they really mean? Alex has a wealth of experience in understanding the difference between a goal that one will succeed in and one that will forever remain “just words.”
- Communication. Throughout Alex’s career, he has been a part of many different teams of various sizes. As one of the only activities that is done in absolute harmony yet often in silence, rowing is sometimes called ‘the ultimate team sport.’ This has given Alex an insight into working and adapting to those around him like no other. With many examples and experiences throughout his career, communication has become a key factor in his success.
- Dealing With Pressure. Alex has sat on the start line of two Olympic finals. A home Olympics where the pressure and expectation was excruciating, the second where anything but Gold would have been an abject failure. Alex talks openly and honestly about his methods of coping with and performing, without exception in these make or break, public situations.
- Prioritisation. Creating the ultimate you can only happen with intense prioritisation. Who do you want to be and why aren’t you there yet? Alex talks about how he learnt to step back, truly look at himself and become the person he needed to become in order to achieve his true goals. The journey certainly wasn’t easy, but everything about it was worthwhile.
- Developing & Maintaining Consistency. Consistency is key to performance. Over time Alex learnt this and started to understand the complexities of developing consistency every day in an Olympic cycle. This, Alex admits, is a huge contributing factor to his continued success and through once realising this, one can develop a culture of excellence within a team.