Catch the Next Wave: Six Lessons Surfing Can Teach About Business, Life and Leadership
When faced with extraordinary challenges, we reach for the attitudes and positive outlook that will be necessary to not only survive the ups and downs of life, but to master them and emerge a winner Shaun Tomson has been called one of the greatest ...
When faced with extraordinary challenges, we reach for the attitudes and positive outlook that will be necessary to not only survive the ups and downs of life, but to master them and emerge a winner Shaun Tomson has been called one of the greatest surfers of all time – he is a world champion, a best-selling author and a successful businessman who has founded and sold two $50 million dollar companies. Surfing is a passion, a lifestyle and a multi-billion dollar business and can teach some fundamental lessons about life and leadership, success and failure.
1. Never turn your back on the ocean – maintain your passion for what you do while keeping an awareness for any potential danger or opportunity.
2. Take the drop with commitment – success is dependent on facing one’s fears through absolute determination and focus
3. Always paddle back out – never, ever give up no matter how severe the wipeout
4. Never fight a rip tide – be aware of inexorable trends coursing through society and the markets. Be mindful that some of these trends are too powerful to fight. Know that you will succumb only if you panic.
5. Realize there will always be another wave – maintain an optimistic and calm attitude in the knowledge that there will always be another opportunity.
6. Share the stoke – be a mentor, share your knowledge. Give of yourself to others that are less fortunate. Be charitable. Doing good is good for business and good for the soul. Understand the successful relationships between all stakeholders are the key to a successful business.